Jesson’s C of E (V.A.) Primary school is situated in the centre of the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley. It is within a residential area and within it’s own grounds.
Jesson’s primary school caters for around 600 children between the ages of 3 and 11. We believe we offer a very special kind of education at Jesson’s, as a church school in a multi-faith setting. Visitors regularly remark on our friendly, welcoming atmosphere and the way in which we encourage purposeful, industrious attitudes in all our pupils.
Being a Church of England aided school makes a difference in that the governors are able to set our own admission policy, as well as one or two other small differences to other schools. However, being a church school does not, of course, make us exclusive. We are delighted to accommodate children and families from neighbouring areas from a wide range of cultures and beliefs, and indeed families further afield too, who all wish for our particular type of education within a Christian context.
Our Facilities Include:
A brand new, purpose built, well equipped foundation stage unit.
A separate, purpose built designed nursery playground with a soft surface.
Access to a fully equipped kitchen for Food Technology.
Two fully fitted halls used for P.E., Assemblies, plays etc.
Two ICT suites with 28 Pcs, scanner, electronic whiteboard, laser printers and video-conferencing facilities.
A new sports field and two new multi-use sports areas.
The History of Jesson’s
Jesson’s School was founded in August 1856 by the “Will and Foresight” of John Williams Jesson. Mr Jesson made a will before he died. His will was to build a wonderful school so that children could learn (and here we are now!).
John Williams Jesson (1767-1855)
1856 - The first real school of Jesson’s was opened on the 1st July. Boys between the ages of 7 and 14 were admitted from the parishes of Dudley and Sedgley. They were educated, clothed and at the age of 14, were placed into apprenticeships or other jobs.
1880 - By now a more suitable accommodation was purchased at Eve Hill, Dudley, where it continued to flourish for a further 28 years as a boy’s charity school.
1902 - Jesson’s became a Public Elementary School.
1930 - As a result of the Hadow report, Jesson’s became a Junior Mixed School.
1970 - Following some changes in Dudley, Jesson’s was re-established with separate Infant and Junior departments and in 1972 these became First and Middle School.
1980 - The foundation trustees, supported by the endowments of St. Thomas’s and St. James’s schools, fulfilled their obligations and paid for a new building for the Middle School. It was opened in September 1980.
1989 - Jesson’s had turned a full circle, when Infants and Juniors joined to form Jesson’s Church of England (Voluntary Aided) Primary School, but these were housed in separate buildings.
1996 - The foundation trustees decided to pay for an extension to the existing building to house the infant department. The amalgamation was completed in September of 1996, with the two departments coming together on one site. This completed the building programme. The school looks the same today.
John Williams Jesson
This portrait hangs in our entrance hall
Early in his will, only written 10 days before his death, John Williams Jesson named nine trustees to whom he bequeathed £10,000 which was to be invested:
‘towards supporting and establishing a school in Dudley for the education of boys between the age of seven and fourteen years being children of poor persons who from time to time for the time being shall at the time of their admission of their children upon the foundation of the school to be established under this my will be parishioners of and inhabitants with the Parishes of Dudley and Sedgley or within one mile of the said Parishes.’